Stephen's 550L tank log (summary & continuation)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:36 am What the current back log of imports there's probably very little wild stock being imported at the present time and much of it that does will be going to the European continent, usually Rotterdam.
Fish are coming through from south America in dribs and drabs.
To get space on a plane comes at a premium which puts the prices up, so they get less priority.
I have seen some of the fish from my Rio Negro list at LFS. Cardinal tetra and Rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleher) are readily available.
Corydoras are hit and miss at present but at least I have alternatives if I go with the Rio Negro theme.
Aqualife Leyland have Corydoras duplicareus and the like such as C. burgessi, C. davidsandsi, C. imitator etc.. so I have options and availability.
I can not find Corydoras amandajanea but again I can go with C. melini, C. crimmeni (gorgeous), C. nijsseni, and others as alternative options.
The Corydoras duplicareus (or the like) and the Cardinal tetra will provide the extra colour that I am looking for.
I can also swap out the Rummy-nose tetra for a smaller shoal of Bleeding-heart tetra, I have more options with the Rio Negro theme.

Corydoras duplicareus

Corydoras amandajanea
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I've never seen c. crimmeni in real life, to be honest when I got my first C48 I thought it was either a crimmeni or kanei, until I found out that all the pics of kanei were actually C48s..... :rolleyes:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:39 pm I've never seen c. crimmeni in real life, to be honest when I got my first C48 I thought it was either a crimmeni or kanei, until I found out that all the pics of kanei were actually C48s..... :rolleyes:
I've not seen c. crimmeni in real life either, it was just wishful thinking on my part. Corydoras parallelus is another option but expensive.

Corydoras parallelus
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I came across some C.Virginae at Maidenhead Aquatics in Taunton (nearer to Wellington, M5 J26). They aren't yet on sale but they had a good 20+. Probably too far for you, but if not worth a call!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

BigBen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 18:29 pm I came across some C.Virginae at Maidenhead Aquatics in Taunton (nearer to Wellington, M5 J26). They aren't yet on sale but they had a good 20+. Probably too far for you, but if not worth a call!
Thanks Ben
I also came across some C.Virginae but I've changed my theme 5 weeks ago from the Rio Ucayali to the Rio Nanay.
I'm finding it difficult to source fish for the Nanay and seriously thinking of changing to the Negro.

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Stephen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:30 am September Update

I am finding it difficult in finding fish that would not normally be so difficult to find.
I have spent the past several weeks looking at alternative river systems (the current theme has only 3 species; Cupid cichlids, Ember tetra and Corydoras agassizii).
The river systems that I've looked at include the Rios Marañón, Nanay, Mamoré, Negro, Araguaia, Essequibo, Rupununi, Demerara and Orinoco.
I have had another extensive look at the Rio Negro which also contains the Cupid cichlids.
In the Rio Negro there is far more choice and availability.

So I have a delemma; do I switch river themes or wait, waiting may be a long while ?

I am thinking Rio Negro (which was a previous theme but went wrong when I introduced some fish which turned out to be predators)
Potential fish stock:-
9 x Cupid Cichlid (Biotodoma Cupido)
15 x Corydoras amandajanea
15 x Corydoras duplicareus
60 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
40 x Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri or Petitella georgiae)
Represents 100% stock and 110% filtration based on all fish being fully grown.
Bear in mind that 3 (or 5) of the Cupid cichlids will be re-homed once they pair up.

Just looking at my options.
I'm not one to hang around, so any changes will be done quickly.
September Update

The decision has been made, I will change to the Rio Negro. (The Rio Nanay theme has only been running for about 4 weeks so not a problem)

I have spoken to the manager at my favourite LFS (65 miles away).
The deal has been done.
I will swap the Ember tetra for Cardinal tetra (wild caught) and the Corydoras agassizii for Corydoras duplicareus.
The Cupid cichlids will stay as they already exist in the Rio Negro.
I will obtain another tetra and another Corydoras species probably next week (I may visit Abyss).
:D :D :D dilemma solved.