Targeted feeding

Food, feeding and diet.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

Any tips or tricks to ensure bottom dwelling fish get food, before certain upper and mid fish snag them first?

How do you target each species in your tank?

These are the fish in my tank - can you guess who the greediest monsters are?

Harlequins
Rummynoses
Bentosi
Apistogramma pair
Swartzi and panda corydoras
Bristlenose
Shrimp
keithmart
Been liked: 13 times

Hi
There is no one food feeds all that I know, but flake food feeds the top and you can get food designed for bottom feeders. there are also foods designed for specific varieties. check with your local aquarist store. You will need more than one food.
Regards

Keith
Leeds UK

Remember you are unique .......Just like everyone else
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Turkey baster to get food directly to the bottom, certainly helps with frozen/live food to by-pass greedy top/mid swimmers..... ;)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

plankton wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:25 am Turkey baster to get food directly to the bottom, certainly helps with frozen/live food to by-pass greedy top/mid swimmers..... ;)
That or some small syringes to spot dose into the area.
There’s also the option of using a tube, aim the tube in the area and drop the food in the tube and let it sink through for the bottom/low level dwellers :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I like the idea of the tube.

Rummies are so greedy.
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

! I had this issue so started using cory pellets as well as floating food... now all my fish are bottom feeders and are disinterested in anything at the surface!
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

I get a decent pinch of flake food between my fingers when the lights are on and firstly sprinkle about a third of it onto the surface, the rainbow fish stay on top scoffing and the rasboras dart up grabbing food too. Then I submerge my fingers and sprinkle out the rest of the food underwater, the apisto then gets stuck in and so do the kittys. After lights out, I get a pinch of bug bites and sprinkle them underwater too, so they sink straight down. The pandas and the BN plec then get stuck into that.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

I don’t think my technique is recommended - I just feed lots and accept I’m supporting the snail population too!
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

lilytracy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:34 am [Montana (Mattress in a box)Montana Made of Orthopedic Reflex Foam and Latex, Montana is designed to provide a firmer feel with a layer of nature as the sleeping surface. A combination of soft Latex and a deep high density Reflex base gives your body the support it needs with a luxurious feel. The Latex has a very high responsiveness reacting to your movements and offering relief from pain at pressure points.
Great! I’ll try putting that in the tank and seeing how well it feeds. Thank you ever so much!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Netsu wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:14 pm
lilytracy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:34 am [Montana (Mattress in a box)Montana Made of Orthopedic Reflex Foam and Latex, Montana is designed to provide a firmer feel with a layer of nature as the sleeping surface. A combination of soft Latex and a deep high density Reflex base gives your body the support it needs with a luxurious feel. The Latex has a very high responsiveness reacting to your movements and offering relief from pain at pressure points.
Great! I’ll try putting that in the tank and seeing how well it feeds. Thank you ever so much!
ROFL
I would advise against that :D
@fr499y you know what to do 😈
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!