New to planted tanks, flourish

marinefish71
Been liked: 11 times

ok ive made a decision that may change things.. im going to go Co2.. but im going to go down the cheaper way using the FE route.. buying seperates.. That way i can do co2 without extorsionate costs..
This will take time to build up.. ive bought a 2kg FE from ebay, like everyone does... but now need to get a good cheap solonoid regulator, think i saw one on another thread somewhere..
What else do i need?
Also once the co2 is installed can i still EI dose? i think i can but just making sure..
My water is so hard, i am currently mixing RO with tap water then using stress coat to take any nasties out of the tap water , this is to get it to a 150-200 tds reading, probably more nearer 200.
my PH is ok at 7.2 currently so thinking that quite good, but my GH goes off the scale on a dip test.. whilst im mixing ro and tap water the ph is good, the GH is in the green and nitrates are about 20. no ammonia, no nitrites..
I know im covering alot on this thread but its really so you guys have an idea whats going on and can maybe help me progress.

Paul
Paul

110 litre tank
Remineralised RO Water
Fluval Stratum substrate
Fluval Plant 3.0 Lighting
Planted with fish
Co2 injection (no longer in use)
EI Dosing (half)
Platies, Neon Tetras, Snails, 1 x 3 spot Gourami
Java Fern, Swords, Tropica Eleocharis acicularis mini, Tropica Staurogyne repens
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Found it! :]

Link; Co2supermarket
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

EI was designed for CO2 injected tanks so should work very well.
marinefish71

Can anyone tell me if this regulator would suit a FE.. i think some of you guys have used this regulator but just want to make sure you think its ok..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FZONE-Aquarium ... NrPXRydWU=

Paul
Paul

110 litre tank
Remineralised RO Water
Fluval Stratum substrate
Planted with fish
EI Dosing (half)
Java Fern, Swords, Tropica Eleocharis acicularis mini, Tropica Staurogyne repens
Martinspuddle

marinefish71 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 16:00 pm Can anyone tell me if this regulator would suit a FE.. i think some of you guys have used this regulator but just want to make sure you think its ok..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FZONE-Aquarium ... NrPXRydWU=

Paul
Not one I've come across, you looked up any reviews?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

any DIN477 regulator will fit a FE, but I personally wouldn't use one with a built in bubble counter. Infact I never run a bubble counter as most diffusers can be used as one.

co2supermarket and TMC are the only ones I've used.
marinefish71

Ok exciting news, my co2 FE arrived today.. awaiting my regulator, diffuser and pipe, also the drop checker they should all come today.. weird but excited boy here..
i have made a slight mistake and not ordered my fluid for the drop checker. any recommendations for the fluid i need? I will get on amazon prime for delivery tomorrow, is the JBL stuff ok?

I have also today recieved some Monty Carlo..hopefully to create a small carpet towards the front of the tank..any secrets involving MC let me know..

Paul

110 litre tank
Remineralised RO Water
Fluval Stratum substrate
Planted with fish
EI Dosing (half)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

any drop checker fluid will do :) You can mix it using bromothymol blue and 4dk water, but easier to buy the stuff sold as drop checker fluid.

Yes the JBL stuff is fine :D
Martinspuddle

Drop checkers all do the same thing really, I had a JBL one, square plastic for a while, then for a time used a glass one from deepest China until I broken it while cleaning it. These days glass drop checkers are easy to come by. Checker fluid, I would just use the JBL, Dennerle or if your a smart arse like Mr. @fr499y make own solution. :dodgy2:

Cannot help with carpeting plants, I never grown them in any of my aquariums. This video below might be helpful.

George Farmer has lots of videos on growing aquarium plants. It was a live demonstration of his that got me back into the freshwater planted aquarium hobby after I'd packed in reefkeeping.

marinefish71

Amazing video, thankyou...
JBL ordered will be here tomorrow. Bought some more stratum as well as i dont think my bed is deep enough if im to go into this properly.
Thankyou guys and Girls..love reading your comments..
Paul

110 litre tank
Remineralised RO Water
Fluval Stratum substrate
Planted with fish
EI Dosing (half)