Help - heaters in a house with no heating

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

Sorry this is just me flying back in after a long absence because I need some help! What sort of minimum room temperature will a typical aquarium heater be able to cope with? Our heating is broken - it’s forecast to freeze next weekend and there will be no heat in the house at all. The heaters in both tanks are ”appropriately sized” by the normal rules but I can’t remember what that is. Any ideas of how I can get my livestock through this please?
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 1938 times

Hi, I am no expert but I think you will be surprised how warm your house can be in comparison to outside even with no heating especially if it has been sunny during the day,
However if possible I would look at getting a cheap electric fan heater, oil filled radiators are better but they are more of an investment, you could run this for an hour in the evening to keep the ambient temperature up, I would have thought the heaters will be ok the water in the tank will already be warm so it's not like the heater will have to heat the water from freezing, no fun to be without heating, hope you get it fixed soon.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

All else being equal, your heaters should cope - they'll just be 'on' for more of the time. If you suspect that either heater may be underpowered for the size of its tank then throwing a blanket or two over the tank may offer some peace of mind!

Insulating smaller tanks (greater surface-area-to-volume ratio) would be a good idea anyway for you until your unfortunate situation is resolved.

May I extend warmest wishes to you, and 'thoughts and prayers' to any simian brass housemates that you may have.

[Edit : to acknowledge Staffy's interposed post]
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

Thanks both, we do have a fan heater that we can run when we are here but I’m not willing to leave it on when we are out. The heating has been broken for a couple of weeks already without any problem with the tanks, but we haven’t had any freezing temperatures yet.

I think I will bubble wrap the shrimp tank, thank you, Vale! Insulation was so flipping obvious I hadn’t thought of it.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

The heaters should cope without issues.
As previously mentioned throw a blanket over the aquariums at night to help with insulation and hopefully save on the aquarium heating bill.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)