More plant questions ::thumb::

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

So a few months after vowing never to buy plants again, I have some plants on the way.

I've taken lots of rock out my tank, given the oscars lots more space and I'm going to put some plants up one end where it's open, in the hope that the Oscars won't destroy and the severum won't chew the leaves.

I have...
X2 Echinodorus macrophyllus both 40cm high.
X4 cryptocoryne wendtii (large)
X3 Helanthium Echinodorus Vesuvius (large)
X400 dwarf hair grass

These are all going into the sand. No co2.
Do I need root tabs? If so, is that on going and how often?
Is it best to keep them out of the quite fast water flow, or will they do better in it?
Anyway to stop the severum? I try feeding him various veg/fruit and he refuses it, he'll eat hikari pellets, shrimp and the occasional algae wafer. But he'll gnaw plants!
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

Dwarf hair grass Don't place the root tabs directly underneath the patches of grass. Bury them in the sand between the separated patches. This way you'll encourage the runners to spread even faster, as they'll grow towards the source of nutrients.

How often to retab 3 months but it should tell you on the pack.
Create Not Hate
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Sorry @PaulVerrall but your lot, it would have been cheaper to buy some vegetables from Tescos! :grin:

If you want to keep aquatic plants, why not setup a purpose small planted aquarium?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 22:02 pm Sorry @PaulVerrall but your lot, it would have been cheaper to buy some vegetables from Tescos! :grin:

If you want to keep aquatic plants, why not setup a purpose small planted aquarium?
I have got approval for another tank, I could fit a 48x18x24 in my lounge. But I do around 3 hours of maintenance on my big tank every week with massive water change, hoovering and cleaning glass inside and out. I don't have the time or inclination to do more! I wouldn't want a small tank as I only do big lol.

I'm hoping now I've opened the swimming space up a lot more that I've got a patch that the Oscars will leave alone, just the plant terrorist severum I have to worry about!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

**Sits in the corner waiting for the inevitable "Why do I bother with plants" comment**

;) :D
Martinspuddle

PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 am I do around 3 hours of maintenance on my big tank every week with massive water change, hoovering and cleaning glass inside and out.
Three hours! ...your not using a pint jug and a toothbrush are you?! 🤣
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 am
PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 am I do around 3 hours of maintenance on my big tank every week with massive water change, hoovering and cleaning glass inside and out.
Three hours! ...your not using a pint jug and a toothbrush are you?! 🤣
Haha no, but I do change about 400litres move stuff about to hoover etc. You would believe the mess the big boys make!!!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

If I use seachem flourish tabs and in the event the fish dig them up, are they harmful?
Martinspuddle

PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am If I use seachem flourish tabs and in the event the fish dig them up, are they harmful?
Rich in Iron it says on their website ...one of two ways I'd of thought, constipation or diarrhoea, either way could make the water a tad cloudy, smelly too. :grin:
PaulVerrall wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 am You would believe the mess the big boys make!!!
Nout surprises me from Chav-vile but I was talking about your fish. :dodgy2:
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

@Martinspuddle
@fr499y
@plankton

Behold and revel in my planted Oscar tank