Shrimps gone hyper

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

You could just rinse the plant under the tap...
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

black ghost wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:33 pm You could just rinse the plant under the tap...
Think soaking might be better to clear whatever this chemical fertilizer is. Shrimp are very sensitive to any chemicals or toxins.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

black ghost wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:33 pm You could just rinse the plant under the tap...
The sellers eBay page does say they may need soaking for a few days and to only introduce one stem at a time and make sure the shrimp are okay before adding any more. What the hell are they growing these plants in?

Before I set up my nano in September I had been out of the hobby for ten years and had not bought plants online before, nor kept shrimp. Since September I’ve purchased quite a few plants on eBay without any problems and it just never occurred to me that the plants could be that dangerous and I didn’t read the entire listing page.

Lesson learned.

I’ve done a 50% water change and will do another later tonight and in the morning. Put some poly filter in the filter as well.

Some shrimps seem okay, others are just clustered together in a corner and seem paralysed. I did have at least 50 shrimp so hopefully enough will survive to restart a colony. Got two nerites as well, not sure what they are doing as haven’t seen them in a while.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 18:31 pm
Think soaking might be better to clear whatever this chemical fertilizer is. Shrimp are very sensitive to any chemicals or toxins.
I would have to agree. I’ve only ever kept shrimp in mayo. :)
mikeyboy123

After 3 large water changes everything seems back to normal and I haven’t noticed any shrimp casualties.

I’ll definitely be more careful in future!

Elodea is soaking in a bucket and I’ll leave it a good few days before introducing it again.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

With Shrimp or any other delicate species, I always buy plants from either Aquafleur or Tropica. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

mikeyboy123 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 13:52 pm After 3 large water changes everything seems back to normal and I haven’t noticed any shrimp casualties.

Elodea is soaking in a bucket and I’ll leave it a good few days before introducing it again.
Are you running a carbon/polyfilter filter with it to remove any copper?
mikeyboy123

plankton wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:16 am
mikeyboy123 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 13:52 pm After 3 large water changes everything seems back to normal and I haven’t noticed any shrimp casualties.

Are you running a carbon/polyfilter filter with it to remove any copper?
No, but good suggestion. just soaking it in a tub on windowsill at the moment. Changing the water each day. Will do this until the weekend.