Sharks. Real ones.

Aquatic news from around the world. Found an interesting article or news post? Post here.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I find this kinda thing fascinating.

Sharks. They were here 400 Million years ago. They survived all 5 Mass Extinction events, including the Permian-Triassic one of 252 million years ago (The Great Dying) that killed 90% of marine life and took the planet 10 million years to recover from. They survived by going deep (the deep-water sharks evolved because of this).

They leave shallow areas days before storms arrive, and stay in deep water till it passes. They can detect a 0.005 bar change in pressure, the earth’s magnetic field, and vibrations and sounds from underwater volcanoes and tectonic plates.

They can even live in anoxic sulphurous water inside calderas, where human divers cannot go.

[And of course there are Bull Sharks in all of the world’s biggest rivers, which isn’t in this article.]

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet ... -disasters
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Incredible animals that we hardly know anything about. I always think it's a shame to see them in public aquariums given the territory they cover in the wild. Just stuck swimming in circles.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

BigBen wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 15:41 pm Incredible animals that we hardly know anything about. I always think it's a shame to see them in public aquariums given the territory they cover in the wild. Just stuck swimming in circles.
No argument there. Detecting the magnetic field must be like having a global gps…
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.