Pleco stocking.

Moby
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

I have one L333 pleco which is small.I’ve been thinking about adding another.Would 2 be okay together?
Thks.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Two males could cause a bit of trouble.

Aside from that it comes down to tank size and hiding places. Ceramic tubes or similar are handy. Two caves per fish I would say, but others will say 1 is enough.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Moby
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

BigBen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 16:09 pm Two males could cause a bit of trouble.

Aside from that it comes down to tank size and hiding places. Ceramic tubes or similar are handy. Two caves per fish I would say, but others will say 1 is enough.
Thks,I have tank space and plenty of wood and caves.The one I got is only a baby 2-3cm.I’ve been offered one the same size.As far as I know king Tiger plecos are on the smaller side.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Moby wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 17:15 pm
BigBen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 16:09 pm Two males could cause a bit of trouble.

Thks,I have tank space and plenty of wood and caves.The one I got is only a baby 2-3cm.I’ve been offered one the same size.As far as I know king Tiger plecos are on the smaller side.
Correct on the size. Most Hypancistrus stay small (possibly all, I don't know any larger species!).
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

From reading:
Smallest hypancistrus 42mm (a but under 2”), largest around 160mm (6”). They also tend to carnivores rather than veggies :)

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ge ... genus_id=7
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Andy7
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

I have 11 Plecos in a 300 litre tank. 3 x Leopard Frog. 4 Royals, and 4 Cambodian. They are all small, about 3 to 4cm. They seem to get on fine at the moment, although one of them is very protective about where he/she sits on a specific log, chasing anyone away who 'dares' to sit in his place. Question is, will they be alright together, and for how long? Will I need to separate them, and if so, at what approximate size will they need to separated? Not sure on their sex yet. Don't know how long it will be before I can ascertain that.

Or, if I move them into a larger tank, like an 850 litre with plenty of hiding places, would that be a better alternative?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

The bigger the tank the better, especially for the royals.
I'm not sure what the Cambodian plec is...it sounds like it ought to be a syno or similar, but I can't find it anywhere, do you mean common? If so, they get to around 24" so will need a massive tank for 4.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Andy7

Thanks Plankton. I think the Cambodian occupants of my tank are Clown Plecs. That's the closest I can come to identifying them, but they have a red tinge to their tail, so not 100% sure. If the little blighters will emerge from their hiding places in the logs, at the same time as I have a camera to hand, I will get some pics of them. From what I understand of the royals, they do not get on well with their own species, so it looks like I might have to separate them into their own tanks as they grow. I am just hoping that I do not need 11 different large tanks for this lot. I have enough tanks, but most of them are only 25 gallons, so I might have to pass some of these on.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Andy7

Very very similar, but I would not go on it yet for sure. The sales assistant at the LFS said they were "Columbian Zebra" and did not know much more about them. I will visit the store again next week, hopefully when the owner is about, and try and ascertain more information.