Keyhole Cichlids or Angel's

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 695 times
Been liked: 1679 times

Afternoon all!

I've made some decisions on my 240l tank and I would like keyhole Cichlids, however, as per usual the internet varies on its advice. Should these fish be kept in a group, or a pair? Most site suggest they are gregarious whilst young but not so much once they are adult. Is it critical to keep them in a group when younger? Ideally I'd like a pair, but they're probably un-sexable at the age the shops will have them (happy to be corrected!). I also don't like the idea of buying a group to take back at a later date, I get too attached.

Cheers!
Last edited by BigBen on Tue May 24, 2022 17:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

I always keep cichlids in pairs ( unless Malawi’s, Haps etc )
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I really like Keyhole cichlids.
If wishing to breed then get a small group (maybe 5) and allow them to pair up naturally.
If wishing to breed also provide a flat stone for a breeding site.

Here's one of my photos from 2016 showing eggs on a flat stone.
(click image to enlarge)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Pair it is, cheers guys!

I wouldn't intend to breed them, as I wouldn't have an outlet for the fry but I would like them spawning as it would suggest they are in good condition.

Your fish cement that it's what I want! How do you sex them, and is it obvious at a young age?
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

BigBen wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 16:52 pm How do you sex them, and is it obvious at a young age?
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/cleithracara-maronii/
Young cichlids can be a little difficult to properly sex but males develop a more extended dorsal fin.
Pair; female above, male below
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

After a bit of a battle with HITH that I thought I'd beat, I lost my last discus today, which is a shame as I had a new home lined up if he recovered.

I can't bring myself to go to discus again at the moment, maybe in the future bit after the few months I've had with them I don't want to continue with them, as lovely as they are. I've two ideas of what I'd like to do next, as follows:

Angelfish - I seen some beautiful angels at my local MA a few weeks ago labelled blue angelfish (they weren't blue 🤔). I'd love to have a big school of torpedo shapped tetras (20-30) as I've never kept them before - rummys, cardinals etc (not neons!). Will the angels eat these fish? Can I also keep another bottom dwelling dwarf cichlid with them, Apistos or Bolivian rams? Completed with a few plecs and a Cory bomb.

Keyhole Cichlids - same questions as above. Will they snack on small tetras and can I keep another dwarf cichlid with them?
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ps. Super soft Cornish water 👍
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Cardinals can potentially become a snack for Angels.
Keyholes are generally safe with smaller tetra and can be kept with other dwarf cichlids such as Apisto

All the best