Platy fry

Food, feeding and diet.
saiwong
Been liked: 5 times

I watched a YouTube video that also mentioned that inbreeding also causes the offspring to end up much smaller.
So suspecting that the small fry with weak immune systems are the result of inbreeding.

Not sure if I breed the female with a new male (brought from a different store) would somehow start the reverse the inbreeding issue and result in stronger fry
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Introducing new bloodlines can help. It can take a long time for inbreeding issues to have drastic effects but as it continues you will find they become more noticeable.
Out of curiosity what temperature are you running the fry tank at?
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
saiwong

The temperature is the standard 25C/77F
saiwong

I purchased some new Platies and Guppys yesterday. However when added to the tank the existing male guppy was constantly chasing the new female Platy and ignoring all the female Guppys!!! Felt sorry for the female Platy so moved her to a different tank. I had hoped the male guppy would turn attention to the female Guppys but so far ZERO interest. Does anyone know why ?
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

He only likes it on the wrong side of the tracks.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

All livebearers are nuts and think everything is another female..... :rolleyes:
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
saiwong

Yes, I understand the male guppy's want to mate with anyone they believe are female.
However, after I removed the Platy female there were still other females in the tank .... the guppy females.
So why did the male guppy not continue his frantic mating of anything that moves if females are still available ???
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Probably because she looks vaguely like a giant guppy female, which would make the fry strong.
(N.B. poecilia don't mate with xiphophorus, only with their own genus - so mollies and endlers)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
saiwong

Well I did try to isolate my female guppys into a hatchery with my male guppy to see if they would mate.
Thinking maybe the aquarium was too large and male guppy was not speedy enough to successfully chase the females.

..... however after 2 days ..... nothing happened. Male guppy showed no interest.

Today, I returned the female Platy back into the main tank. Immediately the male guppy started chasing her and trying to mate.

Question: Can male guppy's be picky on who to mate with ? I gave him female guppy's in an enclosed hatchery .... but he showed no interest.
However, when the female Platy was re-introduced the male guppy was frantically trying to mate with her

Can male guppy's ignore viable female guppys?

What do you think .....

are there issues with the male guppy ?
are there issues with the female guppys ?
or are there issues with both ?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just guppies being guppies.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.