Gah not having a good day! Tea leaves...

WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

I've just done a water change and part way through filling back up, started to see the fish darting up to the surface of the water. (Aquasky is working ok again today so I could actually see them).

I'm using Rooibus tea bags to help achieve my black water. Realised one of the bags must have broken without my noticing and some of the leaves have gone into the tank, .. i only spotted a few though so it's not like the tank is full of them.

Will this be harmful? Hoping not and that possibly the filter will pick the leaves up?

Ta
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Mmmm, I'll be round for a cuppa then..... ;)
I don't think tea leaves will be a problem, they might get confused if they try to eat them...... :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

They did look a bit confused, to be fair! 😁 everyone seems OK this morning so all good o think.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

May I sneak in a quick promo for these freely-available, blackwater-making chaps?

'Tis the season and, this year, prime collecting conditions!

To make black water extract: gather indiscriminately; wash; boil; filter/sieve; and then bottle for long-term storage (cool, dark).
For in-tank leaf-litter: choose (if pernickety!); wash; and dry to store long-term.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 21:48 pm
I'm using Rooibus tea bags to help achieve my black water. Realised one of the bags must have broken without my noticing and some of the leaves have gone into the tank, .. i only spotted a few though so it's not like the tank is full of them.

Will this be harmful? Hoping not and that possibly the filter will pick the leaves up?

Ta
Like any botanicals added to a aquarium it will brake down overtime and if anything you might find your water may look a tad darker this coming week.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Vale! wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:03 am May I sneak in a quick promo for these freely-available, blackwater-making chaps?

Oakay.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.