Pearl Gourami's.

Betta's, Gouramis etc
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I seen some really pretty pearl gourami yesterday, but bought the apistos instead. It's had me thinking though and given the areas they'd inhabit, is there any reason they couldn't live together?
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Cichlids and gourami generally dont get along because of their personalities and attitudes. Both tend to be a bit territorial.
In a large enough space, with breaks in territory/lines of sight you might get away with it.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I don't tend to risk maybes as I hate returning fish to the shop. I wondered if they'd be fine just because the apistos are so bottom orientated and gouramis at the top. I wondered if it would be like my rams and angels, who have probably never met despite being in the same tank!
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

They should be fine. Apistos aren’t interested in what goes on up top.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Should be ok I would’ve thought, getting the right ratio of male to female Pearls would be the bigger thing depending how sexable the ones where in the shop, they are lovely, one of my favourites.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

I have to say my trio of pearl Gourami are really shy fish, I suspect they are all female, They are easily bullied and don't come to the front much, during the day they hide out in the wood they will not swim in the open water pretty much ever, and although they feed from the surface they stick close the the wood, I think they would do better in a calmer tank, mine are in 350l with a lot of other fish, they seem easily intimidated nothing at all like the 3 spot blue Gourami I had for a while, that one was certainly territorial! Mine are in with Cory which is fine, they just ignore each other :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

I loved my pearls when I had them and would definitely get them again at some point. I found them generally easy to sex based on the dorsal fins and although the ram only survived a few days, it didn’t pay the slightest attention to the Pearl added at the same time and the Pearl ignored it entirely. I’d say a 1M:2-3F Pearl harem would pretty much keep itself to itself up top. The only reason I won’t consider them currently is the Emperor’s because the top is their zone and there would likely be clashes.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Staffylover wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 19:40 pm I have to say my trio of pearl Gourami are really shy fish, I suspect they are all female, They are easily bullied and don't come to the front much, during the day they hide out in the wood they will not swim in the open water pretty much ever, and although they feed from the surface they stick close the the wood, I think they would do better in a calmer tank, mine are in 350l with a lot of other fish, they seem easily intimidated nothing at all like the 3 spot blue Gourami I had for a while, that one was certainly territorial! Mine are in with Cory which is fine, they just ignore each other :)
They’re stressed out. They are a very timid species. They live under floating plants, in the shade, and amongst plant thickets, in slow moving water, away from very active fish. Anything else and they’ll hide a lot and be stressed.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Yeah I think they'll be fine - Pearls aren't like some other gourami's there quite timid.

I've had my 3 females and 1 male for around 3 years now and no problems - they stay right up top and dont bother with anything else
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I've just got some red root floaters that ended up in the bag with the Apistos. Once they've spread a bit I'll pick 3/4 up. I have the option to move the Apistos if it didn't work.