Bristlenose Found after 3 months!

Aquatic news from around the world. Found an interesting article or news post? Post here.
Beevster
Been liked: 3 times

Hello and good day to all, I would like to introduce myself and my fish, with no better way than a good news story!

About 3 months ago maybe more I lost my Pleco, I checked everywhere under rocks behind wood and in planted areas, I took all the rocks out periodically to clean and never saw my 6-inch Pleco. I know he used to hide in the stones under the cave rock, he is a tough cookie and can make a hole in the stones, I just assumed he was better at hiding than I was finding, I couldn't believe he was dead because I didn't smell anything bad or no remains and I couldn't image anyone eating him (Looking at the clowns, You better not have!)

As the days went by then the weeks I started to lose hope (Finger now pointing at the clowns) I had given up on him ever returning to the community of the tank. After seeing the fish in the pet shop valued of them smaller than mine over £100 I was gutted I had lost such a valuable fish, and with no sign or signals, I was totally duked into thinking it was my clown fish ''Grr''.

Anyway, I had bought a canister filter and it had been set up for a few months now It was time to take out my old Juwel Filter that came with the tank, It was stuck to the glass and covered in stones at the bottom, id already put my hand right in to see if he was in there, and no luck.
I wanted to take out the Old filter so that the flow of water is all going one way across the tank, so set about prising off the plastic from the glass, once it had come loose I took out the heater and removed the pump, then started to lift it out, My wife was watching and starting screaming ''Omg stop he's there!'' 'Who there?'' I asked ''It's him it's him, The Bristnose omg it's huge'' she cried. So I stuck my head to the side and sure enough, he was inside the bottom underneath the filter not inside.
The only way he could have got in there was by digging under the stones, These are one crafty fish, I have no idea if he came out at night each day or just hibernated in there for over 3 months, needless to say, he's doing very well about 8'' now and the bottom of the filter is kept hospital clean :rofl:

Now he's back where he belongs under the lid of the cave, I'm surely planning on his next great escape. I will capture some pictures later when the lights are on before he vanishes again. What a crazy animal these are I had lost all hope but there he was all this time! amazing.

Spot the Bristlenose, and yes my clowns are asleep in volcanic rock with holes like bunk beds, cool guys.
Last edited by Beevster on Wed Mar 15, 2023 14:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Haha! I’ve had one hide in that little plastic bottom bit as well! Suppose it’s like a cave to them.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome to AF-UK :)
They are tough buggers. My female BN was one of many that survived in a couple of inches of stones and water from a fishshop closing up/selling racking.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

That's a nice story, can just make him out, top left!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum! :D
Ancistrus are pretty devious at finding homes.
What species is he as he's obviously a bigger one?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Beevster
Been liked: 3 times

plankton wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:07 am Welcome to the forum! :D
Ancistrus are pretty devious at finding homes.
What species is he as he's obviously a bigger one?
As soon as he is photo-friendly I'll take a shot :rofl: Then you can tell me, it's dark green with yellow spots but the spots are vaguer than when he was a baby.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

sounds like a green phantom L200?