Probably Columnaris (was: Is this neon Tetra Disease?)

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Columnaris is a weird pathogen, it tends to react to whatever it wants to, but the Myxazin should do the trick.
I have known a combination of Esha 2000 and Esha Exit work as well.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Myxazin has arrived a day early. First dose in all 3 tanks. I definitely bought too much. I think I did my maths wrong. 13.5ml across all three tanks for 5 days is 67.5ml (and I'm probably only doing 2 days on the Lemon/cherry tank. Some reason I thought I needed about 350ml (I might have multiplied by 5 days twice...). Ah well, better too much than too little.

It's much stronger coloured than I was expecting, Here's hoping they respond.
Last edited by SPACKlick on Fri May 05, 2023 15:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

I was intending, before all this kicked off, to do quite a large bit of gardening on the plants in this tank this weekend (Quite a lot of the stems need uprooting and the tops replanting, and some need hacking back). Is it best to avoid this while medicating the tank or best to do it?

Also I did a water change yesterday morning, I presume I want to avoid doing a water change until the course of medication is complete?

And finally, with the neon being in a new tank and the lemons being the biggest bioload to date in the QT running on 3/4 cycled sponges I'd like to water test them to make sure I'm not doing more damage with messed up parameters. Does anyone know if myxazin can impact the results of the tests?
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

It won’t affect any test readings. Waterlife treatments completely biodegrade within 12 hours. You can do a water change on any day, before you treat. Treat at approximately 24 hr intervals.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

Finding it difficult to get good photos of the little guy. He looks somwhat better to me, the patch isn't extending as far down, there's no longer anything mishapen about his belly and he has a good appetite. Thought one of the main tank neons was avoiding the shoal but that only lasted two or so minutes. One of the barbs in the main tank has a slightly swollen/raised scale by one of their eyes. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if I need to isolate them as well.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

3 more days of treatment and I'll make a decision about returning him to the tank or not. For reference for people stumbling on this thread in the future this is the medication I'm using. Myxazin Proffesional treats Fin Rot & Ulcers.

ImageImage
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

It no longer looks like a lump or a cyst, it's not white any more but there's still a pretty obvious patch. It looks like translucent scales over a patch lacking colouration. In theory I've done the last dose of medicine and would start desalinating tomorrow but having not dealt with this before I don't know whether or not I should be lookign at reintroducing the tetra.

Best pics I can capture because the tetra is very active and refuses to swim exposing his patch along the front of the tank. The patch is more noticeable in real life than some of the images.

ImageImageImageImageImage
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

If it looks ‘better’ than it did I’d carry on the treatment for a few more days.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You can also boost the immune system with garlic (either crushed, fresh garlic left for 10 minutes or the food that's already infused with it).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian