Thinking of a wildlife pond…

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Now I have a garden and am getting rid of any and all grass (I do NOT want to be cutting grass year in and out), I have an area that could potentially be turned into a wildlife pond. I’ve wanted one for years…can remember my mum always wanted one too and we got as far as looking at preformed ones in the diy store before the idea apparently fizzled out.

It’s on a budget and it’ll be me (maybe my mum on a visit) doing all the work. I’m thinking preformed or try to find an interesting already made raised container (there’s a yard nearby, aptly named Steptoes where they have all sorts of stuff so quite probably old baths/sinks etc). The ground is horribly stony so I think a liner one would be a lot more hassle and expensive as I’d need to line with sand etc.

It’s an east facing garden so gets sun all day (when the sun is out!) so am thinking a solar powered fountain for water movement (if I don’t have a pond I want a water feature). It’s too far away to run electric (would be about 20 foot to closest socket inside the back door).

It would go in the blue area (green is future shrubbery/borders, grey is rockery, brown is patio slabs).

Advice, supplies etc gratefully received!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Wildlife pond needs to be sunk in the ground to really work well, it can be done above ground for flies, bees, birds etc.

Make sure you have a slope so any fallen animals can get back out with ease.
Shelves work wonders, so make sure the pond has at-least two tiers for different plants.
Bigger the better and try to have a section that’s atleast 1-2ft deep if possible.

Have fun!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

Personally I'd have the pond where your grey area is drawn. The first mistake people make with ponds is having it too far away from the house. People on average spend over 95% indoors, so why not make it visible from the house? Mine is about 4ft from the kitchen window/ doors and everyone else I know with a ponds says "I wish I could see mine from the house" :(
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

The lower terrace looks like it would make a good pond, dig some dirt out and throw a liner in there.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

LookoutTrout wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 13:31 pm The lower terrace looks like it would make a good pond, dig some dirt out and throw a liner in there.
It’s not solid and I’m happy having that as my herb and lavender bed. Plus having it further from the kitchen window means I *have* to go outside to enjoy it, which is something I’m very much enjoying being able to do after years of not having a garden or anywhere I could comfortably sit outside.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

That’s why ours is up the top, makes you go and enjoy it although I do fancy a big pond close to the house for koi 😁 maybe I can persuade the misses.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Preform pond arrives on Monday 🤞🏻.
Went for this one: https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/pondxpert- ... ench/p3484

with a solar pump as I’m not adding fish (seagulls are already a pain). Hopefully the heatwave will have passed so I can dig it into place over the course of next week. Need to get some sand to help fill in any areas but I also got some fleece liner to help protect it.

It’ll be a pain digging it out and then covering over the areas around it for bark and stones, but worth it long term. It’s going in that back area between the seats and the tipped wheelbarrow display. There will be enough room for stepping stone type path around it.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Looks good, at least you only have to dig just over a foot down.... ;) :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

It arrived tonight 😱. Thankfully the weather has cooled today and it may even rain later. I can start digging tomorrow with any luck, although it’ll be Tuesday before I can collect the sand I ordered (thinking it would be Monday delivery). Time to consider plants and substrate at least 🤣.

What plants do people have and recommend? Submerged and around the edges. I’ll need to source some sort of edging too…it was a planned purchase I promise…I just purchased earlier than planned in a fit of something 🤣

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Fun bit of digging today! Was a bit on the warm side but good exercise and only took a couple of hours. Knee deep and still the dandelion roots are on the go!

I covered it with the cardboard because we’re due rain tomorrow and I didn’t want it filling up. I couldn’t get sand delivered until Tuesday so I’ll backfill it then. I’ve got a double layer of pond underlay in there. Will probably lift it all out, cover base with damp sand, pop it back in and then backfill with soil and sand under the liner.

Got some broken slate pieces today off Facebook marketplace which might go round the edge or might get used elsewhere in the garden if there’s not enough.