Snails

Ryansdad1967
Been liked: 1 time

At present I have a major snail problem. I have quite a small tank 50cmx25cmx25cm which I believe is 24 or 25 litres. I have tried using a snail killer, Pond Solutions Snail Control, to get rid. I have treated the tank a number of times and I'm still killing 50 snails per day. I have even resorted to doing a water change once a week, which can't be good for the fish. I am at the end of my tether! Any suggestions?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Chemicals are very risky for the fish. What kind of snails are they?

Water changes every week are what you should be doing, as a minimum.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Ryansdad1967

Been trying to work out what kind of snails! I'm not very experienced, that's why I started with such a small tank. I realise that chemicals are bad but all those dead snails at the bottom of the tank can't be very good for the chemical balance of the tank. I had to do something because the snails seem to be in a vicious cycle, the more I kill and therefore provide food, the more snails I get. Such a small tank can't cope with the amount. Sorry if this all seems like I shouldn't be dabling in something I don't understand, but I used to have a bigger tank which seemed a lot easier to cope with. Anyway thanks for your feedback.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Bigger tanks are much easier to control. It’s always best to get the biggest tank you can, especially when you’re not all that experienced.

If you kill snails you must remove them. And you only have so many because you’re feeding them. Cut down the feeding so that you’re only feeding the fish, and the snails will have no food (as long as you remove the dead ones). You won’t get rid of them all this way but you’ll bring them down do just a manageable few.
Ryansdad1967

Thanks for the advice.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Are the snails cone shaped and in the substrate?(Malaysian Trumpet Snails). If so you can bring them on to the surface (of the substrate) with a gravel cleaner and net them out.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Hi Ryansdad
I had an outbreak of snails, probably brought in with the plants.
I picked out what I could but they seemed to double every few days.
I bought some assassin snails ( following the advice on this forum) and after a couple of weeks or so there is not a single 'pest' snail.
Worth a thought .
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Ryansdad1967

Thanks I'll definitely think about that one Bluetaurus. Are assassin snail a reproductive nightmare too?
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Ryansdad1967 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 21:16 pm Thanks I'll definitely think about that one Bluetaurus. Are assassin snail a reproductive nightmare too?
I've not had them reproduce. Rarely see them to be honest. I put 6 in a couple of months ago and when I looked earlier I saw just a single one.

They do hide themselves in the substrate. I believe they can reproduce. Someone will hopefully clarify that for you with more experience with assassins.

They did the job for me. Perhaps they die off when all the pest snails are consumed..
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
black ghost
Posting Legend

They do reproduce but not quickly enough to become a pest. When they’ve eaten all the pest snails they’ll switch to being scavengers.