1 litre of media per 25l of tank water

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Well I can’t convert a non believer, lol. I still have the booklet of rigorous lab tests Poly-Bio Marine issued when Siporax came out on 1978. The physics is obviously sound, since it works. The patents are held by the American EPA (environmental protection agency).

I’m surprised you take this view when it’s so easily provable. Just botch up a container of Siporax with a slow enough flow and you’ll see denitrification.

Some tests here…

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?st ... 5&as_vis=1
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

black ghost wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:48 am Well I can’t convert a non believer, lol. I still have the booklet of rigorous lab tests Poly-Bio Marine issued when Siporax came out on 1978. The physics is obviously sound, since it works. The patents are held by the American EPA (environmental protection agency).

I’m surprised you take this view when it’s so easily provable. Just botch up a container of Siporax with a slow enough flow and you’ll see denitrification.

Some tests here…

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?st ... 5&as_vis=1
I prefer bigger balls:

:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

@LO1 The first video discusses a sand bed and biocenosis which work very differently than porous media and can perform denitrification at noticeable levels. I'm aware of Aquarium adventures "Test" of biohome. He has a moderately planted, moderately stocked tank. Whether there was any denitrification or not, you'd expect the nitrates to stabilise at a low level from the plants alone. My current tank would remain at 0ppm nitrate if I didn't add nitrogen source, but it's not the filter, it's the plants.
black ghost wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:48 am I still have the booklet of rigorous lab tests Poly-Bio Marine issued when Siporax came out on 1978.
I'd love to see them, because all of the original lab tests I can find just show water entering, and in conditions very much unlike our filters. passing through. And show nitrification in reasonable amounts.

I'd love to see it The physics is obviously sound, since it works. The patents are held by the American EPA (environmental protection agency).
Again, I'd love to see that patent, I'm aware of the patent for manufacturing it for the use of filtration but none of the patents I've seen for any porous media show any evidence they work as described for den
And yet the manufacturers haven't done that, And aren't aware of anyone having done that with success. Don't you find that strange?
So, you clearly didn't read those results. Most of them do not relate to denitrification in aquarium type environments. Several of them merely have the statement from the manufacturer that "Siporax allows for simultaneous nitrification and denitrificiation". Lots of them use two separate reactors for nitrification and denitrification with a carbon source in the denitrifier.

The only study that, from its abstract, claims to show denitrification using siporax in an aquaculture set up in that list is Menoud, P., C. H. Wong, H. A. Robinson, A. Farquhar, J. P. Barford, and G. W. Barton. 1999.
Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification using Siporax™ packing Water Science and
Technology 40: 153-160. Which I don't currently have access to but would love to see the set up they're using and their results. Discussion of that paper suggest they were adding glucose as a carbon source which is a known to create conditions for assimilatory denitrification (absorbption of the nitrogen as proteins in the biofloc). But once I get access to the paper I guess I'll see.

For all you claim "it's easy to demonstrate" there just aren't the studies or even amateur home tests showing this. They always either have plants, which perform assimilatory denitrification, or they're regularly cleaning huge volumes of biofloc out of their filters. In both cases they're physically removing the nitrogen, it's not gassing off.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend

SPACKlick wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:33 am
And yet the manufacturers haven't done that, And aren't aware of anyone having done that with success. Don't you find that strange?
No. I have the booklet.
SPACKlick wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:33 am For all you claim "it's easy to demonstrate" there just aren't the studies or even amateur home tests showing this. They always either have plants, which perform assimilatory denitrification, or they're regularly cleaning huge volumes of biofloc out of their filters. In both cases they're physically removing the nitrogen, it's not gassing off.
I’ve done it myself, a few times. It’s easily repeatable.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

black ghost wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:45 amNo. I have the booklet.
At this point pics or it didn't happen I'm afraid. The booklet which the manufacturers aren't aware of? Because when they've been asked by myself and others if there are any tests demonstrating denitrification they answer that there are not, only testimonials.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend

I’m at work now. I’ll find it tonight or tomorrow, and give you some pics. I know it was available a few years ago from Poly-Bio Marine. The subsequent owners (Arcadia, Sera) have never seemed that interested in the research.