Struggling to get cycle going

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Saralouise2775
Been liked: 1 time

I am struggling to cycle my tank. Nothing seems to be happening. It’s a 90 l tank with this filter

I have a Java fern, Anubis and 2 moss balls in it and started off adding fish food them swapped to dr Tim also Adding bottled bacteria.

Started to get some nitrate at one point then nothing, I changed some water but that haven’t helped. Feel like I failed before I started. I’m to nervous to add goop.any advice appreciated.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4283 times

Don’t change water during the cycle, only top up if evaporated.

Dose ammonia to 4ppm and keep an eye on it, when it drop to 0ppm top back up to 2 and then start testing for nitrites ( not nitrate ) once you get nitrites showing, test daily and top ammonia up once it hits 0ppm, and as soon as you get ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm over night, the cycle is done. Do a large water change to remove any excess nitrates before stocking.

For more details, take a look at the cycling guide on here 🙂
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

I might be missing something but you said you had Nitrate and it went away, but you also have a reasonable number of plants. Your plants could be consuming your nitrate almost entirely if they're growing well.

How are Ammonia and Nitrite levels doing?
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

What readings have you had for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Saralouise2775
Been liked: 1 time

Only ammonia indicated. I was wondering about taking the plants out actually. That's why I listed them in my post.
The java fern looks a bit raggy with some black specks in leaves but leaves in tack and green Anubis looks very healthy. I haven't given plants anything extra to aid them
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

When you say "only ammonia indicated" what readings have you had for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate whilst cycling? Without actual numbers and dates it's pretty hard to give advice because we don't know what's happened.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3436 times

The Dr.Tim's ammonia chloride takes a while to show nitrite (I think @Sixo is using it currently as well), so don't panic.
When the ammonia drops below 2ppm add more anyway to top up as per the directions. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 323 times

plankton wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:59 am The Dr.Tim's ammonia chloride takes a while to show nitrite (I think @Sixo is using it currently as well), so don't panic.
When the ammonia drops below 2ppm add more anyway to top up as per the directions. :)
Yeah nitrites definitely slower to get to work mine took a good few days to get a reading, or an obvious one anyway. There’s probably a lot of factors involved like tank surface area/plants, Ammonia dosage and how much bacteria added in proportion to tank volume etc.

Dr. Tim’s website has a step-by-step video to fishless cycling aswell as troubleshooting video for common issues to give you a steer.

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resource ... -and-only/