21 litre Hexagonal tank

Food, feeding and diet.
Flobert
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Hi Guys, question, I have the above tank with no one calling it home. Would it be ok for an Angel Fish or Siamese fighting fish to live in it?? Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions. I have two further tanks, 60 litre and 220 litre all home to happy fish.
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

So it's about as small as you'd want to go for a fighter, though definitely too small for an angelfish.

I'm assuming it's quite a tall tank (and not very wide) as most hexagonal ones are; fighters need good access to the surface to breathe. Maybe a small school or shoal (6-8) of microrasbora or, if you have hard water, Endlers might be more suitable.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

A dedicated shrimp tank would be a winning setup in that tank 🙂
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I wouldn’t keep fish in a tank that small, but some people would keep a Betta. Bettas like to roam though, and aren’t really happy in such a small tank. You might have issues with its health. A bigger tank would also be a lot easier to look after.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Totally agree. I tend to keep bettas in a 2ft tank or a 40L cube as they behave more naturally and tend to be pretty happy too.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

How tall is it?
It sounds ok for shrimp and snails (farm for puffer snails?) or even just a terrarium.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Anubia
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times

I have a Siamese fighter in 25 litres and I have to do water changes every three days with a bigger clean at weekends. Things get slimy, bubbly and smelly very quickly in small tanks, even with plants in them. I am planning to get a bigger tank with more room for plants. The other thing is a small stir of the substrate messes up the water throughout the whole tank. To gravel vac it is easier to take him out with a jug and keep him in a bucket until done as it's tricky to manoeuvre around him in a small tank.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Anubia wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 14:11 pm I have a Siamese fighter in 25 litres and I have to do water changes every three days with a bigger clean at weekends. Things get slimy, bubbly and smelly very quickly in small tanks, even with plants in them. I am planning to get a bigger tank with more room for plants. The other thing is a small stir of the substrate messes up the water throughout the whole tank. To gravel vac it is easier to take him out with a jug and keep him in a bucket until done as it's tricky to manoeuvre around him in a small tank.
It’s also extremely stressful for the fish every time you move it. Another reason I don’t like small tanks.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Anubia
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times

It's quite a tall tank so could house some interesting aquatic plants that shallower tanks can't accommodate. I had a mystery or apple snail and killed him by over feeding him unfortunately. They need consistent feeding throughout their lifespan. He loved to snorkel just under the surface, so would need a surface to sit on if you kept one. Snails can be fascinating. But as you may already know, can overpopulate very quickly.
Flobert
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Oh yes, snails populate quicker than rabbits!