Changing to sand substrate?

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Voylike
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Hi guys, as mentioned before I’m new to the hobby, have had my fair number of issues, however loving it and learning all the time 😂👍🏼
I’ve started with grey and white gravel with substrate underneath but am thinking of changing to sand. Is this possible to do with fish in tank and will I still need substrate underneath the sand for my plants?
Thanks
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Full strip down of the aquarium, otherwise you run the risk of fish loss or damage and then there's the problem of toxic issues with the aquarium water column after disturbing the substrate.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

As above, move the fish out of the tank into a suitable container, strip the tank down, give it a little clean while your there and go from ground up. Leave the filter running with the fish if its not fixed to the aquarium :)
Voylike

Thanks , would I be leaving as much water in as possible or just keep the 20 litres or so that my fish would be put into when I move them out?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

no harm in keeping as much water back as possible for them to go into, it will help reduce any shock to the fish.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Fr499y beat me to it.

Put your fish in a container with as much water as you can, you'll be getting rid of all the water from the tank pretty much.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Voylike

Excellent, thanks a lot guys 👍🏼🎄🍻🐟
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Are you sure you want to switch to sand, I remember when I had sand and it's a nightmare to clean with a syphon.
I use Aqua soil btbh this is not easy to clean and I have to use a very small syphon but it still sucks it up.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

ive never cleaned my sand, the filter flow is enough to pick up any dirt :)
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

If it was just gravel you could simply siphon it out and replace with the sand. The substrate is the problem. You won’t get that out without the water going muddy so you need to remove the fish and empty the tank.

Put the filter on the fish if it’s practical. Give them an airstone too if… Save as much water as you can.

Make sure you wash the sand. If it’s ‘pre-cleaned’ it’s only a large scale industrial-type cleaning, so it probably won’t be totally clean.

Put the fish and decor back in when you’re done. The fish will be stressed so I’d just dump everything back in with the water you’ve saved, and as long as there’s enough for the filter and heater to work I’d then leave them. You can top it up and arrange the decor later when they’ve settled again. Best to minimise the stress. They won’t mind mucky water.

Plants are fine in just sand. Most feed through the leaves, and you can (should) use root tabs for any root feeders.

Some of your filtration bacteria will be on the gravel you remove, so you may have reduced filtration afterwards. Feed less and test ammonia and nitrite for a few days…
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.