Powder blue dwarf gourami death

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Kelfel
Has liked: 4 times

I'm trying to work out why my 2 powder blue dwarf Gourami died within 24 hrs. I noticed one was a little slow yesterday and by this morning the both of them had started changing colour, drastic change in colour. They both died throughout the day. I'm gutted, they were so beautiful. I have photos of both of them after removing them from the tank (dead). I'd like to post the photos below if that would be acceptable to see if anyone can help identify the cause or incase anyone has seen this colour change before and know what went wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help :cry:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Could be anything as they are dwarfs, man made? Variants iirc. They tend to be weaker than the standard gourami’s.

Any obvious marks on them? Sunken stomach? Etc.
Kelfel

Here are photos of both sides of each fish. Not nice I know so sorry in advance.

Kelfel

They were both a beautiful blue colour
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

I've just lost my 2 powder blue female dwarf gourami within 2 weeks of each other.
I'm putting this down to the extremely hard water in my area. I certainly won't be buying any more.
Shame as they were beautiful fish.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Kelfel

Bluetaurus wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 22:26 pm I've just lost my 2 powder blue female dwarf gourami within 2 weeks of each other.
I'm putting this down to the extremely hard water in my area. I certainly won't be buying any more.
Shame as they were beautiful fish.
Ahh I'm sorry! Yes they are so beautiful! Our water is hard too. I have been putting in a buffer powder to help with this. So strange isn't it.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Commercial buffers aren’t actually good for fish. Which one were you using?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Kelfel

black ghost wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 23:06 pm Commercial buffers aren’t actually good for fish. Which one were you using?
Oh gosh really!? :shock: I had it from the local aquatics shop. It's KH powder I believe, I'm not 100% if that's correct though. Is there anything better that can be used for hard water?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Sorry you lost them; a lot of gouramis seem to struggle these days because of their breeding.

Information that might help us help you:
Size of tank,
How old is the set-up
How was it cycled and when
What stock was added/when
What are your water parameters in terms of gH and kH
What is your water treatment routine
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Kelfel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 23:11 pm
black ghost wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 23:06 pm Commercial buffers aren’t actually good for fish. Which one were you using?
Oh gosh really!? :shock: I had it from the local aquatics shop. It's KH powder I believe, I'm not 100% if that's correct though. Is there anything better that can be used for hard water?
The only really safe way to soften water is to mix it with RO (reverse osmosis) water. Or you could filter it through peat or a water softening resin, but they’re very slow processes. It always best to avoid adding chemicals to fish tanks. The only one you should be adding is dechlorinator when you change water.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.