Canister questions??

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
TheNotoriousDub_
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hi all!

My name is Mark and this is my 105l.
I'm aware that I have a tannin problem, I think, as once the wood was added it had that haze an hour later...

I have an aquamanta efx 200 canister and I'm unsure which way it flows... I'm assuming it's bottom to top as the recommended media setup is as follows, from top to bottom, Tray 1 Wool, Phosphate Pad, Sponge (Black 35ppi) Tray 2 Ceramic Media, Tray 3 Activated Carbon Bag, Sponge (Blue 15ppi)

I've read I do not actually need the active carbon or the Phosphate Pad?

Does anyone have any experience with these canister filters and if that's the correct setup for flow?? I'm just concerned I'm not getting the best flow into the tank from the filter only using the spray bar.

Any advice would be much appreciated 😁
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello Mark and welcome to AF-UK :)
Im not sure about the setup of the canister filter, I would’ve thought someone here will be able to help :)
Tannins aren’t a problem, they can cause the ph to drop a little as they’re acidic, but otherwise they can have antiseptic properties :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
TheNotoriousDub_

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 18:22 pm Hello Mark and welcome to AF-UK :)
Im not sure about the setup of the canister filter, I would’ve thought someone here will be able to help :)
Tannins aren’t a problem, they can cause the ph to drop a little as they’re acidic, but otherwise they can have antiseptic properties :)
Thank you 😊
I do have seachem purigen about....could that harm my levels or the fish? I've done a couple of water changes this week and doing my first strip test tomorrow.
I'm also doing this tank as a fish in cycle, I know it can be frowned upon and I wish I went fishless now.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Get a liquid test kit as strips are awful. No idea why shops still sell them for anything other than ph.

Seachem prime water conditioner would be a good shout as it detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, whilst still allowing the filters to build up beneficial bacteria.

As you’re fish in cycling, I take it you are doing daily water changes at the moment? Maybe add some api quick start and keep an eye on the levels 😌
TheNotoriousDub_

fr499y wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 20:20 pm Get a liquid test kit as strips are awful. No idea why shops still sell them for anything other than ph.

Seachem prime water conditioner would be a good shout as it detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, whilst still allowing the filters to build up beneficial bacteria.

As you’re fish in cycling, I take it you are doing daily water changes at the moment? Maybe add some api quick start and keep an eye on the levels 😌
Thanks for the reply!
So scrap the strips and purigen for liquid test and prime conditioner? Will this conditioner help clear tannins slightly?
Yes I've added the correct dosage of api quick start and have done two water changes so far, one Sunday and one Monday.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Purigen is for removing impurities/tannins etc but prime is a water conditioner that has the added bonus of converting ammonia into ammonium.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

This might be helpful and yes from bottom to top is right, most canister filters work that way. ;]

click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
TheNotoriousDub_

fr499y wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 21:14 pm Purigen is for removing impurities/tannins etc but prime is a water conditioner that has the added bonus of converting ammonia into ammonium.
Brilliant! I've got the purigen and prime now so I'll give the purigen a go first, but I do kind of like the look the tank has with the tannins
TheNotoriousDub_

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 am Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

This might be helpful and yes from bottom to top is right, most canister filters work that way. ;]

click to enlarge
:happy: Nice one! That is very helpful. So is it true I don't actually need the active carbon bag or the Phosphate Pad unless they're in there to remove something for a reason? What would the best media setup be from bottom to top? 15ppi bottom tray, 35ppi middle and ceramic at top? I've read that some people just keep 15ppi in one tray and ceramic at the top??
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Oooh! I haven't done this for ages!......
Tannins are good, tannins are good, tannins are good..... :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian