Zebra Nerites and Amano Shrimp

fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

I put 3 Nerites and 4 amanos in the tank today to hopefully help out a little with the algae. I have some more plants to go in tomorrow too!

With the nerites I righted one two of them when I put them in and the other went in between some wood and stone. The one in between the wood and stone hasn't moved other than to wedge itself in a bit more and one of the ones I righted was upside down this evening. Are nerites normally fairly active? I'm concerned I've killed them already should I be worried?
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

fluxtor wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 21:19 pm I put 3 Nerites and 4 amanos in the tank today to hopefully help out a little with the algae. I have some more plants to go in tomorrow too!

With the nerites I righted one two of them when I put them in and the other went in between some wood and stone. The one in between the wood and stone hasn't moved other than to wedge itself in a bit more and one of the ones I righted was upside down this evening. Are nerites normally fairly active? I'm concerned I've killed them already should I be worried?
Give them chance to settle. Not unusual for Nerite snails to wedge themselves into a corner.

Did you drip accumulate the Nerites and Amano Shrimps?

Click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fluxtor

I acclimatised them by floating the bags and adding a bit of tank water slowly a few times over 45 minutes. The one which was wedge seems fine it's half way up the glass. The one which I righted did move a bit but I've since had to right it twice having found it upside down, that doesn't seem right does it?
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle

fluxtor wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:15 am I acclimatised them by floating the bags and adding a bit of tank water slowly a few times over 45 minutes. The one which was wedge seems fine it's half way up the glass. The one which I righted did move a bit but I've since had to right it twice having found it upside down, that doesn't seem right does it?
Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter changes, you should OK. Best practice is to drip accumulate.

Nerite, might need @fr499y's sniff test. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Nerites have a trapdoor, so will acclimatise themselves, how did you put it in the tank?
Did you place them on something relatively soft or just drop them in - I usually pop them onto plants so they can move as they want.
I also find that out of every three I get, one dies within 3 days...except for last time when all three have survived. They do stink when they die, so it's easy to tell if they have.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fluxtor

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:07 am
fluxtor wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:15 am I acclimatised them by floating the bags and adding a bit of tank water slowly a few times over 45 minutes. The one which was wedge seems fine it's half way up the glass. The one which I righted did move a bit but I've since had to right it twice having found it upside down, that doesn't seem right does it?
Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter changes, you should OK. Best practice is to drip accumulate.

Nerite, might need @fr499y's sniff test. :]
Thanks, I need to bare this in mind, so much to learn. I think being a koi keeper I arrogantly assume I'll be fine. Although some of the basic principles are the same it's so much more diverse with all the different species and varieties. I need to persevere but I already feel like I want to rewind and start again!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fluxtor

plankton wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:03 am Nerites have a trapdoor, so will acclimatise themselves, how did you put it in the tank?
Did you place them on something relatively soft or just drop them in - I usually pop them onto plants so they can move as they want.
I also find that out of every three I get, one dies within 3 days...except for last time when all three have survived. They do stink when they die, so it's easy to tell if they have.
Unfortunately I dropped them in which in hindsight was a poor decision. Two of them are pretty mobile so at the present seem fine where as the one which keep ending upside down I'm not so sure. I've righted it at lease three times already and today I placed it gently on a leaf (big brown leaf I bought not sure which type) but it doesn't appear to have moved at all. Guess we'll find out over the next day or so!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Sometimes they can take days to sort themselves out.
Have you smelt it when you've righted it?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fluxtor

I did and couldn't smell anything but then again I do have a cold so my sense of smell is not great atm. What would the smell resemble? Rotting flesh?
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle

fluxtor wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 23:12 pm I did and couldn't smell anything but then again I do have a cold so my sense of smell is not great atm. What would the smell resemble? Rotting flesh?
Can't be that bad, cold or not, you'd smell it! :vomit: