Shy Amanos

fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

Is it normal for Amano shrimp to be shy? I introduced 4 on Saturday and I really have to look hard to find them and only ever seen 3 of them so not even sure if they're all alive :(
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

They can hide for a bit, if you have aggressive fish they can take cover and come out a bit more when the lights dim but usually they are pretty bold things.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Added 6 to my 80 litre tank about four months ago and never seen any of them again for over three months. Assumed they had died but spotted three in the last few weeks, still hoping the rest will appear.
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

They can be bold but if they fit into the mouth of your fish they will be eaten, their young need lots of places to hide. I started with about 4 now I have over twenty, I am just replanting with mosses to give them more foliage to hide.
fluxtor

Cool, makes perfect sense. I have some bloodfin tetras which are a bit flighty so probably spooking them!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

There's not a much cover for the shrimp in your aquarium which make them even more elusive. :cry:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fluxtor

Again, makes sense. When I do see them they tend to be round the back of the big bit of wood towards the back of the tank.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Been liked: 91 times

Mine are also pretty shy. I added 12 when I started my tank and had thought them all dead. For the first day or so, they were all zooming around like crazy, then they pretty much disappeared.

Then I started seeing discarded carapaces every now and again, and recently I started seeing some Amanos bumbling around. I even saw 4 together yesterday!

They are a lot bigger now than they were at first.

My tank is very heavily planted and has loads of places to hide, so I have no idea how many of them there really are....but I am pleased that they aren't all dead. I might get some more.

Edited to add: Verified Amano count is now up to 6 as of this afternoon!
fluxtor

Fantastic looking tank!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fluxtor

Think I have a dead shrimp now, either poor acclimatising or something else. I need to check in the morning it's not molted but looks like a dead shrimp atm. As mentioned in another post I do have cyanobacterio could this be harmful? Also I am dosing Flourish Excel in an attempt to battle the algae and I've just read somewhere this can be harmful to shrimp. Is this true?

I'm feeling a bit disheartened at the moment with some fish losses, a dead snail and now possibly a shrimp plus the horrid algae. Feel like I want to break it down and start over but realise I need to be patient!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper