Changing up tank for easier maintenance…but how?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Long time no post…I’m definitely feast or famine!

Feeling ashamed of how I let my tank slip yet again over the year, but recognising it’s something that’s linked to my neurodivergence and isn’t likely to change. Once something becomes a demand, my brain senses it as a threat to be avoided (known as Pathological Demand Avoidant autistic profile). So I’m looking for ways to keep my tank but make it more manageable and so it looks ok even if my maintenance routine slips for a few weeks. Today was my first water change since just before Christmas…I hate that it happened but it is what it is.

So: I’m prepared to put in a few hundred to rescape as necessary. I might pull the rocks? My wood is also crumbling and I hate needing to soak new wood, so I may just go for plants? I have no plant feeding routine whatsoever; at the moment my fish are grateful that I remember to feed them 2-3 times a week. So maybe an autodoser if I go heavy planting to hide substrate?

I’m focusing on keeping the emperors, cardinals and rummies; the cherries and hengeli are just being allowed to run down (the espei were added from a closing down tank, not my choice but they needed a home). The cherries are now in their 4th year so I don’t know how much longer they’ll be around for. Will update my signature for current stock.

I’m debating cories again, to keep the sand fresh because I don’t Hoover it; water changes are done with a pump attached halfway down the glass. That’s all I can manage. I did siphon 3 buckets alongside the pump today but it’s not something I can do every week these days; I don’t have the physical or mental energy. So possibly some sort of leaf litter?…but very aware of my low kH and can’t remember if that will be problematic. My memory and ability to retain the science or even the basics is shot to pieces.

I like the crypt ballansae and it does just keep growing, but it and the Anubias are currently BBA magnets because I’ve not been doing weekly water changes or any sort of plant feeding. I honestly need to do nothing or have it automated. I cannot remember to dose (heck, I forget to drink until mid-afternoon most days until I realise I’m really thirsty!).

So; any ideas to help me out? Photo from earlier this morning. Very ashamed of how the sand has ended up looking…it had like a black dirt layer on top as well as the snail poo (I’m pulling out a couple of baby Sulawesi snails every month as soon as I spot the tiny ones, which I feel terrible about but I’d be overrun if I didn’t as there are already 8 or so juvenile ones at over 1cm length).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Why not go crypt heavy and anubias on rocks? Stick in plenty of root tabs and forget dosing :)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

I’m debating going more black water (although not completely so…just the idea of a naturally “dirty” tank floor). Definitely crypts did well previously so more of them could definitely be an option. I used to hate the little balls from tabs escaping though…the thought of bright yellow balls scattered across the substrate just doesn’t appeal. But definitely more manageable and less expensive than a dosing system. Thinking to try more frogbit again, but it didn’t seem to do well after I switched to the Oase filter. Struggling to remember exactly when it started dying off.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Use the solid root tabs or clay.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Hi VM, I use Seachem Flourish root tabs now as they are heavy grey blocks that seem to remain where you put them, I do sometimes use the clay sticks as these are cheaper but if they do get disturbed and rise to the surface their bright colour is annoying, then they stick to your finger when you try to push them back in, I agree with fr499y stick to plants that do not need liquid ferts, if you want low maintenance I would go for a large amount of plants and a low amount of fish, do you have a hose system for water changes? if not that is worth every penny in terms of saving time and effort, regarding new wood I never worry about pre soaking it, my tanks are too big for that, I just rinse it off and place it in with a couple of stones to wedge it down, then I remove the stones after a few weeks :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 13:07 pm Long time no post…I’m definitely feast or famine!
Disgraceful! :grin: ...Hi @VikingMummy2015, great to seeing you posting again. :]
VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 13:07 pm So: I’m prepared to put in a few hundred to rescape as necessary. I might pull the rocks? My wood is also crumbling and I hate needing to soak new wood, so I may just go for plants? I have no plant feeding routine whatsoever; at the moment my fish are grateful that I remember to feed them 2-3 times a week. So maybe an autodoser if I go heavy planting to hide substrate?

I’m focusing on keeping the emperors, cardinals and rummies; the cherries and hengeli are just being allowed to run down (the espei were added from a closing down tank, not my choice but they needed a home). The cherries are now in their 4th year so I don’t know how much longer they’ll be around for. Will update my signature for current stock.

I’m debating cories again, to keep the sand fresh because I don’t Hoover it; water changes are done with a pump attached halfway down the glass. That’s all I can manage. I did siphon 3 buckets alongside the pump today but it’s not something I can do every week these days; I don’t have the physical or mental energy. So possibly some sort of leaf litter?…but very aware of my low kH and can’t remember if that will be problematic. My memory and ability to retain the science or even the basics is shot to pieces.

I like the crypt ballansae and it does just keep growing, but it and the Anubias are currently BBA magnets because I’ve not been doing weekly water changes or any sort of plant feeding. I honestly need to do nothing or have it automated. I cannot remember to dose (heck, I forget to drink until mid-afternoon most days until I realise I’m really thirsty!).

So; any ideas to help me out? Photo from earlier this morning. Very ashamed of how the sand has ended up looking…it had like a black dirt layer on top as well as the snail poo (I’m pulling out a couple of baby Sulawesi snails every month as soon as I spot the tiny ones, which I feel terrible about but I’d be overrun if I didn’t as there are already 8 or so juvenile ones at over 1cm length).
I wouldn't worry to much about feeding your fish only 2-3 times a week, not bad thing and keeping excess nutrients low in the water column.

My current health is not the greatest at moment and my issue is remembering to take the medication. I set my Android phone to do daily reminders for what tablets and when to take them, maybe you could apply the same thing with your phone for your fishkeeping and other daily routines.
VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 13:07 pm My memory and ability to retain the science or even the basics is shot to pieces.
Can you try keeping a note book for your aquarium? ...or just ask anything on the forum, we'll soon remind you. ;]

Sounds to me you need a low maintenance aquarium, but the addition of more plants. I would suggest keep your present setup as it is and plant heavily. As @fr499y said, fill the tank with Cryptocorynes, but also maybe some Echinodorus, Hygrophila, Microsorum and Nymphaea lotus plant species.

By keeping your fish stock low, addition of a dosing pump for fertilizer would be one possible answer and will keep maintenance low as well as the algae. If you used root tablets (not the capsule kind) you only need to replenish these every six months or so until the plants show signs of needing more. Then possibly every three months with growth like I have in my aquarium.

With my setup if I had low stock, you could probably get away with monthly or even possibly quarterly waterchanges.

Click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: