Snail Guessing-Games!

Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

I believe this is called "Infotainment"!

I've been looking at Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) recently, the reason for which will unfold itself below, eventually ..

Guess #1

I acquired a couple of MTS a few weeks ago, sourced externally to Vale! Towers. Meet Linda ...

... and Leslie (she's next to the temperature sensor):

At least one of them is a lady snail but since there are few males in any given population of them, for present purposes I'll assume that both are. I put them in with my Moina (Daphnia-type critters) exactly a month ago. They've been producing some baby snails, as I'd hoped. Question One is: how many babies have they produced?

I don't myself yet know, btw - I'm going to count and remove them tomorrow. An MTS female can carry an astonishing number of babies in her brood pouch, at various stages of development presumably. But I don't know how long each is in there before they march out to explore the world or how many may exit at a time. On the other hand they haven't had an awful lot to eat - just whatever Moina food has managed to settle on the glass before being munched. There's a heater in the tank (26C) which might also influence guesses, I guess. I grabbed a pic of a new-born:

Guess #2

The presence of Linda & Leslie stems from last Summer/Autumn when I had decided to convert a fishy tank (Sheba 4) into an invertebrate tank. For the previous couple or three years it had a bunch of Corydoras in residence. The substrate was sand that itself hosted a healthy population of MTS.

This pic was taken soon after I'd cleared everything but the substrate. It's very mucky because I'd not long before squeeze-rinsed all the filter sponges in the main tank (in normal operation the sand had been perhaps surprisingly clean) :

But you can probably make out a delegation of snails. I collected them by syphoning out through a kitchen strainer. I couldn't tell what proportion of the snaily population I'd trapped ; I thought it might be quite high, given the tiny reticule of the strainer. Now, because of what's described vis-a-vis Question #1 I've seen the size of the newly-born and am confident that I got pretty much all of them. Here they are:

So your Question #2 is: how many snails did I catch?

This operation had followed my multiple attempts to eliminate them using eSHa's 'Gastropex'. It hadn't worked so I had contacted eSHa to try to understand why. In theory the resulting conversation is still going, but I can't help feeling that it's actually fizzled out! I thought it might have something to do with the very soft water and/or its acidity.

One of eSHa's observations (they'd been sent the same photo as you've just seen) was that, given that MTS are 'big snails' (their description) there was just too much snaily biomass in the tank for a standard dose to be effective. In fact, as I was able to point out: although MTS in optimum conditions may grow to be the best part of a couple of inches long, in Sheba 4 they got nowhere near that. I'm not sure they got anywhere near their normal max lifespan (between 1 and 2 years) either. Here are the biggest three that I could find (pictured after everyone had dried out for a month or so):

They don't really represent the prime of snailhood. What with the water conditions and with Corys shoving them around it's not surprising, I suppose!

Another snippet vouchsafed by eSHa is that the microblighters (chiefly bacteria) that may build up over time in the substrate also absorb some of the effectiveness of Gastropex. There was leaf-litter in the tank which wasn't removed/renewed very often, so that's probably a contributor. They were asking me about the size/type of the tank's filters, too ; I wondered whether that was because filter microblighters act in the same way ... I'm still awaiting confirmation or otherwise of that. Anyway a damn good hoovering (and possibly a filter service) before starting a course of Gastropex seems to be indicated!

Guess #3

When the snails had thoroughly dried out, and merely from curiosity, I roughly measured their total volume and weighed them. You have your estimate of the number of snails and you have a vague idea of their size, so:

Guess 3a : Loosely-packed into a small measuring tub, what was the total volume of snail shells?

Guess 3b : What was the weight of the above?

I'll leave those with you for a few days and then post the numbers. I may in the interim consider questions. I can think of one right away, actually, but the Call Of The Guinness unfortunately trumps making the edit to insert the relevant info above!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I've always thought MTS were hermaphrodite, not male and female (well, technically both I suppose ;) )?
None of my MTS have ever got to rabbit or elephant snail size (over an inch)....and they (rabbit and elephant) do have males and females as do assassins.....or have I just got completely senile about aquatic snail reproduction?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

I tried eSHa's Gastropex when I had a load of MTS in my tank (going back a few years ago).
It forced many MTS up the glass and I manually pick them out and got rid of them. There were hundreds and probably hundreds more that I couldn't see.
The only real way to get rid of snails is to empty the aqaurium, give it a clean and start again (which I done).
plankton wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:13 am I've always thought MTS were hermaphrodite, not male and female (well, technically both I suppose ;) )?
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a live-bearing species that can reproduce in two ways: either through parthenogenesis or sexual reproduction.
Parthenogenesis is where females give birth to young female clones. These will be genetically identical to the parent. Males are not needed to fertilize the eggs for this to happen.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Vale! wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 21:50 pm

So your Question #2 is: how many snails did I catch?

Guess #3

When the snails had thoroughly dried out, and merely from curiosity, I roughly measured their total volume and weighed them. You have your estimate of the number of snails and you have a vague idea of their size, so:

Guess 3a : Loosely-packed into a small measuring tub, what was the total volume of snail shells?

I'll leave those with you for a few days and then post the numbers. I may in the interim consider questions. I can think of one right away, actually, but the Call Of The Guinness unfortunately trumps making the edit to insert the relevant info above!
My guess approx 500 shells, volume half litre

My guess 4oz (113 grams)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)