Is it snowing?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

I'm completely puzzled. Normally I've found before it's flakes of calcium carbonate, which sinks in time and usually from the tapwater supply but this floats?

Only other thought is try some ploy filter in you filter chamber to see if that removes the flakes.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 236 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 20:53 pm I'm completely puzzled. Normally I've found before it's flakes of calcium carbonate, which sinks in time and usually from the tapwater supply but this floats?

Only other thought is try some ploy filter in you filter chamber to see if that removes the flakes.
I'm just as puzzled as you, this stuff does not sink, does not bind using acc-clear just floats around laughing at me in the tank, doesn't attach to kitchen paper, can't catch it in a net, doesn't get sucked into the intake pipe, its so light, I've done big water changes, don't want to do to many to often.

I've had polyfil for several years in one of the filter chambers and it's always helped keep the water clear, so Iike you I'm not sure what's going on.
I'll give it another week and report back, hopefully with good news.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Try not feeding the fish for a couple of days - if they are copepods the fish will eat them....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

What have you got in each of your filter chambers?
54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

plankton wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:59 am Try not feeding the fish for a couple of days - if they are copepods the fish will eat them....
...if they are copepods @plankton he'll make a small fortune selling them as live food. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

A quick update, it's still snowing.

Since my last post,

1. Didn't feed the fish for a few days, they showed no interest in eating the particles.

2. Replaced Fluvial fine filters and polyfil, made no difference. Cannister filters been cleaned.

3. Done large water changes , this seems to make matters worse. Spent time skimming the tank and collecting the white particles, initially it looks like I've managed to remove quite a bit of the particles, however as soon as the filter is turned back, the particles seem to triple in amount. This is very curious????

4. The skimmer hasn't made much difference, the wave maker just makes the particles circle round the tank and the intake does not take in the particles.

5. I removed the Seiryu rocks I put into the tank, the only other changes I made, before this issue started was taking out some of the plants and cleaning the intake and outside pipes with a wire brush.

This has been going on now for over a week, I've tried google, YouTube, no luck.

Previous to this issue I've had clear water for several years, right now looking at the tank, I'm really not enjoying what I'm seeing, I'm at a total loss as to what to do next.

Reaching out again to the forum to help me resolve this issue so I can get back to enjoying the tank.

Thanks in advance.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Purigen.
I think it'd probably particles of gunge from where the pipes were cleaned, although...have you checked the tapwater if it gets worse after water changes (unless that's stirring gunk from the bottom of the tank)?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

That was my next suggestion, is there anything in the tap water?
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Some more pics below.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

can you scoop some water out the tank in a glass and leave it sitting for a bit. Do they sink or still float around? It still looks like copepods to me though.