Smallest Powerhead or Circulation Pump

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Hi, I have the same model of tank in the 60l version, luckily the fish I have in mine are all happy with the low flow, but if I wanted more I would go with an extra filter over a powerhead if it was possible to fit one in, Oase do a bioplus internal filter shaped to fit in a corner, would that fit in the opposite back corner? Failing that I did like my Eheim StreamOn circulation pump but not sure if they would do one small enough for your needs.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

Staffylover wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 20:38 pm Hi, I have the same model of tank in the 60l version, luckily the fish I have in mine are all happy with the low flow, but if I wanted more I would go with an extra filter over a powerhead if it was possible to fit one in, Oase do a bioplus internal filter shaped to fit in a corner, would that fit in the opposite back corner? Failing that I did like my Eheim StreamOn circulation pump but not sure if they would do one small enough for your needs.
Thanks, Didn't know they did a 60? Thought it was 40 and 70 :)

I love the look of some of the marine powerheads that are wifi controllable but soooo expensive and massive overkill. I'll probably go for a cheap amazon small circulation pump or maybe a decent one.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

@fluxtor have you thought about using a EHEIM skim350. Very small, flow is controllable and skims the water surface.

Might give the extra flow you need and is only 5 watts.

Eheim GMBH

RRP: around £27.99
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

This is really good because it is DC it is adjustable from 1% to 100%: Recommended Tank Size: 2.5-60+ gallons

:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Martinspuddle

Lo1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 18:26 pm This is really good because it is DC it is adjustable from 1% to 100%: Recommended Tank Size: 2.5-60+ gallons

Even better. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fluxtor

Thanks guys some great suggestions, I will have a looksee :)
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fluxtor

Lo1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 18:26 pm This is really good because it is DC it is adjustable from 1% to 100%: Recommended Tank Size: 2.5-60+ gallons
Very nice indeed but at £175 probably too much for my little tank! I guess you get what you pay for though as with everything!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle

fluxtor wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 21:13 pm
Very nice indeed but at £175 probably too much for my little tank! I guess you get what you pay for though as with everything!
Sorry I didn't investigate Nero 3 pump's price. Is a tad steep. :dodgy2:
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I'm not clear as to exactly what problem you are trying to solve.

Is the supplied internal filter doing it's job mechanically/biologically, and you just want a bit more flow throughout the tank and to get rid of the oily film?

Or is the supplied internal filter not up to the job mechanically/biologically? And has this always been the case, or was it okay but has now deteriorated?

If the former, then a simple air stone in the corner opposite the pump could do the job. Doesn't even have to run constantly. I used to get the oily film but I now run an airstone for 15 mins 6 times a day and there is never any oily film now. The air stone will create more flow and you could run it all the time if you wanted to, and you could improve the directionality of the flow by putting the airstone in an uplift tube with a bend at the top.

If the supplied filter has never been up to the job then a new mini internal filter in the opposite corner may be the only practical solution. But if the pump performance was okay but has deteriorated then it may be a problem that can be solved. The impeller may need cleaning or replacement, or perhaps the sponges are too fine and getting constantly clogged which is reducing the flow. Fine sponges are useful in polishing the water but they can get clogged easily and the flow can be massively reduced as a result. I used to get this problem when I used a very fine filter pad as the final stage in my internal filter. I ditched the very fine pad and the filter performance is much improved without nay noticeable difference in water clarity.
Martinspuddle

mikeyboy123 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 13:47 pm I'm not clear as to exactly what problem you are trying to solve.
fluxtor wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 21:09 pm
FishBubs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 20:25 pm what filter are you using just now? would it not be possible to install a different model of filter that may suit your needs better ?
As said it's an all in one with integrated filter so not sure I can!
Remind us what make of aquarium do you have again?