Noobie help please!

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

So... the Rams will not do well in such hard water. They're very weak fish anyway, and will get problems and won't live very long. Also the tank won't be big enough for more than one pair, so you may get a war breaking out there. Also the Shark WILL cause big problems when it starts to mature, but it might not be aggressive while you're there watching. The fish choices they've advised you on are just as bad as the rest of their advice.

I would reduce the feeding right down (that's were the ammonia comes from), add Prime as per instructions, and do watter changes every day, if possible, till you stop getting measurable readings. Meanwhile I would look at replacing the fish with fish that are actually suitable for your tank size, water and tankmates.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Skipperz
Has liked: 5 times

Thanks guys, for all the input really appreciate it. Has been a super busy couple days but highlights so far is:
Returned the non paired Rams, and the LFS did give us a credit back which is good. They are stating that we could get a nice shoal of Neon Tetras or something similar, around 8? Do you guys think that could work?
As an aside, the paired Rams appear to be much much happier. I thought they already had great colour before, but they really seem to be shining now which can only be a good thing!
Totally taken on board all the comments with regards RTBS - Will definitely keep a close eye for now and there definitely are future plans for a larger tank for when he matures.
Still continuing with water changes and monitoring Nitrite levels. Getting huge plant growth too!! One plant has actually now reached the surface of the water.
Thanks again :)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Skipperz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 20:31 pm Thanks guys, for all the input really appreciate it. Has been a super busy couple days but highlights so far is:
Returned the non paired Rams, and the LFS did give us a credit back which is good. They are stating that we could get a nice shoal of Neon Tetras or something similar, around 8? Do you guys think that could work?
As an aside, the paired Rams appear to be much much happier. I thought they already had great colour before, but they really seem to be shining now which can only be a good thing!
Totally taken on board all the comments with regards RTBS - Will definitely keep a close eye for now and there definitely are future plans for a larger tank for when he matures.
Still continuing with water changes and monitoring Nitrite levels. Getting huge plant growth too!! One plant has actually now reached the surface of the water.
Thanks again :)
Rams and neons have very different temperature requirements so absolutely not tankmates. Cardinal tetras would be a better fit temperature wise (presuming the LFS told you the rams like it around 27 going by memory?). But again, both cardinals and neons are soft water species like the rams and none of them will thrive long term.

But you have plenty of time for the tank to finish cycling and stabilising before you should add anything, so you can read up on hard water species who can survive in a warm tank with a RTBS on the prowl!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.